As we approach our 10 year anniversary, lots of changes are on the horizon for Brighten A Corner Ministry.
Originally, I fought the changes because they require a skill set that I don’t have. However, God has filled those needs with another team member, and now the blessings of moving forward to get our own 501(c)3 number are becoming more and more evident. I thought I would share some of them with you.
- We can apply for grants. This is a long shot for any non-profit, but the mere possibility is more than we had available in the previous structure.
- We can seek business sponsorships without the worry of how it might affect the church. Church “rules” and our own “rules” have a very different dynamic. This gives us more freedom to define ourselves.
- It will be much easier to set specific budgets for projects, as well as track the budget as we go. Our monies will all be housed in one account that we will have unfettered access to; it just makes tracking simpler.
- We can communicate with our donors. We will know who is donating, and will make sure they receive proper paperwork and thanks. As it is now, it is likely that much of that has fallen through the cracks.
- Planning projects will be RADICALLY more simple. As it was, to get what we needed from Home Depot, Randy Russom and I would spend hours up and down the aisles making our list. It would then be entered into the computer at the desk for the bid. I would then need to take the bid to the church to fill out the proper paperwork. Several days later the check would be ready. I would then go pick up the check and take it back to Home Depot to secure the order. Now we can just write a check as we order. (This will save valuable time and gas money!)
What’s Next for BAC?
Our current focus is simply on building our account to meet the call of future projects. We want to be able to complete any project God opens the doors for, regardless of size. We are completely open to doing several smaller projects, as opposed to one larger project, if that is His will. However, we do not want to avoid doing work because we don’t have the resources.
We are well on the way planning BAND TOGETHER 2013. It will be Saturday, April 13, 2013 at MERCY Church in San Luis Obispo. Again this year we will have food, a silent auction, and the great, godly entertainment we had last year. We are committed to making this a profitable event, but we need YOU! We need you to:
- Attend the event! VERY, VERY FEW people who say they love Brighten A Corner and what we do showed up to support us last year. We want to change that!
- Spread the word to talented people you know! We are working to make this a great opportunity!
- Donate to the silent auction. Do you have a skill? Do you have a business? How can you help?
- Bake goodies. We will have a bake sale this year. Can you help with that?
- Work the event! We need people at the door, working security, doing stage work, hanging up posters, selling food , counting votes and cleaning up! Put it on your calendar now!
How can you help?
- As the end of the year approaches, please remember us in your End of Year giving! This will help build the account so we can do future projects. We work hard to get the most value out of every dollar we receive.
- Become a regular monthly donor. Your gift of $25 a month will help us build a budget with which we can plan future projects for families in our community!
- Save the date for Band Together 2013 and plan to come. Plan to help. Plan to bring your friends. Remember this is our main annual fundraiser.
We know there are so many stories waiting. People who need what we have to offer are struggling right now, and the leadership team is fighting to gather resources to meet those needs. We only can do it with your help.
ROBIN LEE and the BAC Leadership Team